Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Touring Puyo & Shell

On Monday we did some basic shopping in Puyo. We were treated to a great tour of the area by assistance pastor Tomas and his wife. Actually his wife, Gladys, extended the tour throughout the afternoon.

We visited the MFA (mission flying service) hangers. This operation continues to be very large serving the remote villages of this region. While there is regular service to about 25 locations, I was told there are some 170 landing areas served. A major purpose of this flying service is to keep remote villages in conctact with medical services provided in Shell.

The hospital in Shell continues to be very busy. There are beds available, but a major service is to serve outpatients. The waiting room was full. As I walked through the lobby, someone shouted my name. I was sure that no one here could possibly know me and so I quickly concluded it was the voice of God. To my disappointment (I think), it was Craig with whom we had shared the van ride from Quito to Puyo two days prior. He was supervising his two daughters who were taking a series of rabie shots.

We also visited the church camp where we had spent two 2 week periods of service in January of 05 and 07. Was great to see camp managers Carmelo and his wife Maria again.

Also had a chance to visit two local resorts. One was a type of spa and injured wildlife refuge. They had a lot of facilities for a relaxing day. We also visited a fancy pool and resort in Puyo. We had no idea the town had these upscale facilities.

Last night the electrcity went off about 7:30 and remained off for several hours. It was early to bed last night. It began raining shortly after and it rained all night until about 7:00 this morning. I wouldn´t say we had a lot of rain but I saw several ducks walking around with snorkles. I knew that with two previous rain free days, we would pay for it sooner or later.

Tonight we are off to the ¨back to school¨banquet at a nice resturant. I think this is also a ¨meet the American creatures¨night. More later.

We do recieve email at our regular address if you have ¨personal¨responses to make.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope you had a great banquet. We would have loved to have been with you. Tell everyone "hi" for us.

Eldon and Phyllis