Sunday, November 25, 2007

Funny Language Incidents

Language can be a funy thing, especially when vocabulary is limited and you use a word you THINK is close enough. Pronounciation can also be a funny thing. Three examples follw.

Students were giving a 10th grade girl a bad time during the break. I asked what was going on. One student said ¨that girl has a poopy face¨. I was about to let them know that this wasn´t funny when another student said ¨she has a face like a poopy¨. Oh yes, the letter U in Spanish is pronounced as öo¨. That explained the entire thing. ¨Puppy face¨is a little more acceptable.

I was working with a staff member looking at the broken merry-go-round on Friday. Both of us could lift it off the pivot by really straining. He was out of shape even more than I. Right in the middle of lifting it off, he needed a break for just a second. He reached for the only English he had at this moment and said Omer, I need a vacation! I wanted to say¨ok Freddie why don´t you take a week off and I will hold this thing myself¨.

Finally, our landlady told us she has a sister named Funny. About three weeks later it dawned on us that her name was probably Fanny.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blogs are so good. Thank you. Maybe you should teach me how to blog, then I wouldn't need to send you 52 e-mail letters that can't be read! Remember, I won't say "hey", we are praying for you guys.

Love, Eldon and Phyllis

Anonymous said...

Boy do I know what you are saying. I still retell the story of trying to buy a clothesline,"ropa" from the young woman in Puyo.

Thinking of you
Blessings
craig

Anonymous said...

That remindes me of the difficulty I had trying to buy ice cubes for use in an ice bag in Frankfort Germany. Ultimately I gave up. Don