Wednesday, January 23, 2008

A Miss Is As Good As A Mile

Today was a fairly normal day. Only a few near misses. Kids were pushing to get on the bus which returned late from a field trip. Of course one fell down near the back wheels as the bus was rolling to a stop. Miss is as good as a mile, I guess. Saw some kids turning back flips on a landing pad today. One kid came very close to a miss and nearly hit his head on the cement. A miss is as good as a mile, I guess. Yesterday when kids were demonstrating their volcano productions, they used black cat firecrackers to explode down inside to produce smoke. One didn´t go off and a kid reached down inside to move it. It still didn´t go off. A miss is as good as a mile, I guess. Don´t knock leading a charmed life.

On Friday grades 8-9-10 are going on a field trip to the jungle. This includes waterfalls, river tubing , etc. I plan to go with them. I can only imagine on a day like this a miss better be as good as a mile.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought the volcano lesson was nicely done. I did that at one time for my general science kids. Cannot remember the chemical that burned in the top of the volcano but it produced a roaring flame which was spectacular in a darkened room. I would add bits of magnesium metal to produce flares. It produced a gray-green ash which was very realistic but I suspect the chemicals I used are banned from Chem labs now. I hope you have brushed up on your water rescue skills. Were you in Anita when we had an outing to Anita Lake and a 7th grade student almost drowned? An Eagle Scout gave him mouth-to-mouth and saved him. Don

Anonymous said...

Homemade volcanoes are not allowed at our science fairs, and they use vinegar and baking soda. Be careful on the field trip. A cat only has so many lives.
Marlene

Anonymous said...

Omer and Mary Jane,
I have been following your blog and am glad to see that you have arrived safely back to your "home". Please accept our sympathy on the death of your parents. It must have been a very difficult time for you both. I enjoy reading Don's comments as it makes me feel like I'm among old friends. Marcia